As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. In an effort to remember the big and little events of my life, it is my New Year's resolution to blog about it.
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Day 256: September 13, 2011
I love learning new things when traveling. During my visit to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, I learned that it is tradition to drink milk after winning the Indy 500. As an Aggie, I love traditions. I researched the tradition a bit more after I got home and here's what I learned:
From Wikipedia: "Louis Meyer requested a glass of buttermilk after winning his second Indy 500 race in 1933. After winning his third title in 1936, he requested another glass but instead received a bottle. He was captured by a photographer in the act of swigging from the bottle while holding up three fingers to signify the third win. A local dairy company executive recognized the marketing opportunity in the image and, being unaware Meyer was drinking buttermilk, offered a bottle of milk to the winners of future races. Milk has been presented each year since then apart from 1947–1955. Modern drivers are offered a choice of whole, 2%, and skim."
Labels:
travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment